Learn how to make my Organic Beetroot Dip in under three minutes by watching the little video below.
Like many of you, my body struggles to process lactose (the sugar found in many dairy products) so I’ve made this recipe for us, the Lactards of the world. I chose to use goat-milk cheese and sheep-milk yoghurt as I find them easier to digest. If you’re not a lactard, you could substitute them for cow-milk feta and regular greek style yoghurt. It’s a very versatile recipe to suit most intolerances!
RECIPE (4 people)
- 3 organic beetroots (fresh, from the ground)
- 2 organic carrots
- 3 cloves organic garlic
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75 gm soft goats cheese or sheep milk feta
- 4 tbs sheep milk yoghurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- chilli flakes or fresh chilli to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Chop carrots and beetroots into small cubes and place onto roasting tray.
- Peel garlic and add to roasting tray.
- Coat vegetables with olive oil, then add spices. Mix thoroughly so the spices evenly coat the veggies.
- Roast veggies in the oven for 30 minutes, or until soft when poked with a knife.
- Once veggies have cooled, put them into a food processor along with the chilli (to taste – start slow!), lemon juice, yoghurt and cheese and whiz up until smooth.
- At this point, you might like to add extra chilli if you don’t get the “ba-ZING” you’re after. You never really know with chilli. It’s better to start with less than blow your head off when you’re taste testing!
- Serve with some lightly toasted almonds on top and dip away with your favourite crackers, or carrot sticks if you’re going paleo.